Allied Minds (LSE: ALM) is an innovative U.S. science and technology development and commercialization company. Operating since 2006, the company forms, funds, manages and builds products and businesses based on innovative technologies developed at leading U.S. universities and federal research institutions. Allied Minds serves as a diversified holding company that supports its businesses and product development with capital, central management and shared services. More information about the Boston-based company can be found at http://www.alliedminds.com <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001V3EaYGTvMGUbEzI8kF5GPNFDvnyOlKL6fQ1wmzL38ZoptD6wptSTXQnWXc8u1BFbpXW0wR8rjKYDjpcPvVxgA7GTlwLR61criOg-3PviyE73yOkO-SxBq7rQ4xmIIitE3vKNy5wX7nSxQSD_iEa4v0wAktZgjj5cNY_7LbB8IV4=&c=RMQ-45r-dbHCJzbe4UxB4en_hb-yWE_l_UoWK1ESYggOa> .
Allied Minds’ investment model is to form, fund, manage and build companies and jobs for the long term. The company takes a majority ownership stake in each business it establishes, and provides funding and central management so that it’s intimately involved at each stage of strategy and growth. Allied Minds currently works with more than 33 leading universities, several of which exceed $1 billion each in annual research spending, as well as 32 federal research centers and laboratories managed by the U.S. Departments of Defense and Energy on a similar commercialization structure. It currently has 20 operating companies in the U.S.
What We Look For
Our portfolio includes investments in both life and physical sciences that show potential to go to market within 2-5 years to bring innovation to help solve critical challenges. Although we are not industry specific, we get excited about technologies and opportunities that:
- ~ Offer clearly definable products/services addressing critical, major unmet needs
- ~ Demonstrate significant technology advantages
- ~ Enjoy strong technical and IP foundation
- ~ Show potential to go to market within 2-5 years (therefore, we do not invest in therapeutics)
- ~ Come from collaborative and entrepreneurial Principal Investigators
- ~ Originate from a U.S. university or federally funded research institution
- A-fib/Electrophysiology (mapping and ablation)
- Atherectomy catheter based therapies
- Autonomic therapies (sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system regulation)
- Biventricular lead placement
- CNS/DBS lead placement (targeting central stim companies)
- GI technology
- Laparoscopic devices – both handheld and robotic
- Medical devices
- Mobile health/home healthcare electronics (rewards & cost outcomes important)
- Neurovascular catheter based therapies
- Non-invasive, minimally invasive, or less invasive technologies, preferably therapeutic devices
- Percutaneous heart valves: mitral valve repair
- Renal denervation/Autonomic nervous system
- Tattoo removal
- Advanced data analytics, management & correlation generation
- Attribution/reverse engineering
- Clean energy technologies
- Cloud computing security
- Consumer Electronics (Gaming, Lighting, Display Tech)
- Cyber security & homeland security
- Database management, integration, and security
- Defense & aerospace C4ISR technologies
- Digital identification and authentication
- Encryption solutions and integration applications
- Energy Storage (Batteries, Ultra Capacitors, Kinetic Energy Recovery & Storage)
- IT recovery & reconstitution
- Mobile device management for enterprise and government
- Next generation C4ISR technologies
- Next generation IT infrastructure
- Non-signature based threat detection for email-based malware
- Novel/advanced materials
- Power Generation (Wind, Fuel Cell)
- Robotics & autonomous systems
- SCADA system protection
- Secure supply chain technologies
- Soldier-specific equipment technologies/sensors
- Vulnerability testing/mission tools
- Water (Desalination, Reclamation)
Allied Minds Announces the Launch of Novare Pharmaceuticals
Allied Minds Announces the Launch of Novare Pharmaceuticals, a Biotech Company Focused on Developing Therapeutics that Modulate RHAMM
Boston (October 7, 2014) – Allied Minds (LSE: ALM), an innovative U.S. science and technology development and commercialization company, announced today the launch of Novare Pharmaceuticals, a biotechnology company focused on developing therapeutic products that help the body replenish and rebuild itself using its own tissue through the modulation of RHAMM. Modulation of RHAMM is also of benefit in inflammatory diseases such as Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia (BPD).
Novare is an expansion of the Allied Minds subsidiary previously called ProGDerm, which is developing a dermal filler for aesthetic applications that works via the modulation of the Receptor for Hyaluronan Mediated Motility, or RHAMM. This research is being led by Dr. Eva Turley, an oncology scientist at the London Health Sciences Centre (LHSC) in London, Ontario, in collaboration with MJ Bissell, a world-renowned cell biologist at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratories in Berkeley, California. Turley and colleagues have now uncovered the potential for additional applications of RHAMM modulation that may help solve some of today’s biggest medical challenges, including arthritis, fibrotic diseases such as Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia (BPD) in premature infants and Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (IPF), and the reduction and possible elimination of keloid scars.
This breakthrough in tissue engineering may also provide an opportunity to regenerate and reconstruct women’s breasts after a mastectomy through the localized stimulation of the body’s own adipocyte (fat) stem cells. Novare has licensed from LHSC additional RHAMM compounds discovered by Dr. Turley, who is also serving as Novare’s Chief Scientist, and Dr. Leonard Luyt, a peptide chemist at LHSC, allowing the company to more than double its library of RHAMM-binding peptides – and increase potential applications.
“We are excited by the opportunity to further explore the potential therapeutic applications of RHAMM modulation technologies as the studies conducted to date show promising, medically relevant, drug-induced biological responses,” said Michael Delmage, Chief Executive Officer of Novare.
RHAMM is a protein that is normally localized inside the cell but is released by certain stimuli. It plays a role in the regulation of spontaneous cell movement and stem cell differentiation. Dr. Turley and her colleagues found that modulating RHAMM provides the safest and most efficacious means to selectively promote subcutaneous fat generation (adipogenesis), moderate destructive inflammation, and reduce scarring (fibrosis) by stimulating normal cell differentiation and controlling the body’s own natural regenerative processes.
More information about Novare and its research can be found on its website, www.novarepharma.com. Novare is a subsidiary of Boston-based Allied Minds.
About Novare Pharmaceuticals
Novare Pharmaceuticals develops therapeutic products that help the body replenish and rebuild itself using its own tissue. By modulating RHAMM, a natural protein that alters migratory cell behavior, Novare is at the forefront of finding treatments for a wide variety of inflammatory conditions, from arthritis to fibrotic diseases including Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia (BPD) in premature infants and Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (IPF). RHAMM modulation also provides a means of tissue engineering that may allow the regeneration and reconstruction of women’s breasts after a mastectomy, and may also offer opportunities in the aesthetics market. More information about the company can be found on its website,www.novarepharma.com.
About Allied Minds
Allied Minds (LSE: ALM) is an innovative U.S. science and technology development and commercialization company. Operating since 2006, Allied Minds forms, funds, manages and builds products and businesses based on innovative technologies developed at leading U.S. universities and federal research institutions. Allied Minds serves as a diversified holding company that supports its businesses and product development with capital, central management and shared services. More information about the Boston-based company can be found at www.alliedminds.com.